Thursday, July 19, 2007

Pardon me, do you have any Grey Poupon?

" 'The time has come,' the walrus said. 'To speak of many things, of shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and kings.' "

To be honest, starting the culinary academy was a bit like falling down the rabbit hole. I'd dreamed and plotted about attending this school since I was 14 years old, so when I received notice that I'd been accepted to the Academy and put on my chef's coat for the first time, it was not unlike Alice's first glimpse of wonderland.

Shiny stainless steel kitchens, gas ranges with pilot lights glowing blue, full pantry, and... well maybe not a magical wonderland with talking rabbits and pocket watches, but a veritable pantheon of culinary expertise and equipment.

It's the end of my third week here at the Academy and things are going well. I'm not so fond of my bus ride of two and a half hours each way, but it's a small price to pay for fulfilling a dream. Walking around the City everyday is a joy and the view is gorgeous. Its a bit odd walking past the opera house. I can't help but wonder; if I had chosen a different path, would I be there instead of in the kitchen?

2 comments:

WintersWacko said...

So...lets taste these so called treats that are baked for family and friends...care packages are always welcomed by the beach boys and monkey girls..show us your stuff!

Mama Mia said...

Yes, what a world of dreams you have entered. Mixing up magic has always been your forte...still think the Opera and your taste buds could blend together. Bravo!!!